Cat Ba has recently seen increased interest by travelers as a tour destination. It offers visitors added options of adventure, relaxation & cultural exchange apart from being a gateway to Halong Bay.
Cat Ba is the largest island out of a chain of over 360 islands and it was officially recognized by UNESCO as a World Biosphere Reserve. It is known for it’s rugged, yet iconic limestone mountains, it’s cold & hot springs, deserted beachs, coral reefs and tropical forests. You can explore Halong Bay through a cruise or a helicopter from Cat Ba island.
What You Can Do On Cat Ba Island
There are several activities you can spend your time doing in Cat Ba. Here are a few of them.
- Kayaking around the island – It is possible to rent a kayak for an entire day under $20. Going kayaking in Halong Bay is one of the best ways to explore its astonishing beauty. You can paddle through islets and discover unspoiled beaches, floating fish villages, hidden caves and lakes.
- Hiking at the national park – You can follow a few trekking trails through the mountains to get a great view of the valleys and the frog lake. As you go, you’ll have the chance to see wild animals and enjoy bird watching. There’s also an optional swim at a secluded beach.
- Rock climbing – The are various rock climbing expeditions which are amazing.
- Going to the caves – Some of the famous caves include Thien Cung cave, Sung Sot cave, Dau Go cave and Trinh Nu cave. Every one of these caves has inspiration and interesting things waiting for you to discover.
- Go fishing – Fishing is an enjoyable activity through which tourists can experience the what it feels like to be a real fisherman. Since fishing is one of the daily activities in the life of local fishermen in Halong Bay, you can take instructions from the local fishermen on how to fish for squids in the sea.
- Beaches – Whether you want to go kayaking, fishing, cycling or some other activity, there are many beautiful beaches that you should not miss. Some of these beaches include:
1. Monkey Island beach which is a small beach mainly for international tourists and visitors.
2. Cat Co Beach 1, 2 & 3 are three different beaches connected by bridges. They are suitable for swimmers to have fun. And they have modern tourist services to aid relaxation, food and drinks.
There are several reasons to visit this beautiful island. It is quite easy to book a boat trip out of Cat Ba island to go exploring around Halong Bay. Tours are organized by experienced guides who about teach you a few things about the Bay.